Successful Affiliate Marketing
It can be difficult to earn a steady income from affiliate marketing, and even more difficult to stand out among other marketers promoting the same products. Once you’ve built up a website, blog, newsletter, or social media, there are steps you can take to become successful and generate a more reliable revenue stream.
- Know your partners. Research each affiliate program you consider joining so that you will understand how and when you’ll be paid.
- Build trust. Buy the products you intend to market so you can personally attest to the quality. You’ll be judged by the product or service you promote, so focus on the quality of your own brand and recommendations, not just the earning potential. Your followers will come to trust your recommendations and be more likely to buy from you.
- Have a brand. Choose affiliate items that match your niche and the content of your blog. Don’t rely on SEO or social media alone to drive people to your website and affiliate referrals. Understand who your target market is, where you can find your audience, and how to entice users on your site.
- Use variety. Mix and match affiliate ads so you don’t overwhelm your visitors (content-embedded affiliate links usually have the best click-through rates over image links.) Consider using a lead page and funnel system to market your affiliate business. Lure prospects to your email list with a free offer and include links to your affiliate product pages.
- Know the legal requirements. Most visitors will probably understand that advertisements lead to your personal compensation, but if you write a review or use an in-text link as a recommendation, you must explicitly state that each purchase using that link can generate revenue for you. This isn’t just good business: it’s also required by law. If you don’t disclose affiliate or revenue-generating links, you could face legal and financial penalties.6
- Track your traffic and earnings. Monitor the success of your affiliate programs, particularly if you work with several different ones. Know which programs are the most successful and which products resonate with your followers so you can plan future campaigns.
Like any other type of home business, success in affiliate marketing depends on investing the time and effort to grow your business and build relationships with your customers and partner brands.